It’s All About Me

Today it’s all about me.  Tiny bit selfish, I know, but it is my blog.

Ever since I started this lil blog of mine, I’ve been debating on whether to share personal stories with you.  I have thought about it a ton!  There have been a few I shared like this one and this one.

I want to share my stories with you here but I’m not sure how deep I’ll go.

I have an unusual past/upbringing/story.  I’m sure everyone in the world does, really.  No two lives are the same and everything that happens in your life shapes the way you are.

Now, if someone went through the EXACT same things as I did (if you are one of those people, please contact me, I’ve never been able to find you!) I’m sure you’d turn out completely different from me.  Are genes are all a different make-up anyway.

I often thought I should write a book but not I’m not a writer and I’m not quite sure who would read it.

I had very good grades in school and when I actually applied myself I was on the honor roll.  But my brain has so many thoughts going through it all the time that when I try to speak sometimes or try to write it all down it gets jumbled up.

I over-analyze, reanalyze then analyze some more.

I’ve read every self-help book known to Amazon and have done years of therapy trying out different therapists to make sure I found the right one.

Hopefully these stories will help me to collect my thoughts a bit more.

Okay, here we go!

baby Jamie somuchbetterwithage.com

It’s All About Me

See that chubby baby?  That’s me.  I don’t know how old I was there but I’m assuming pretty young.

I don’t have too many baby photos but I’m trying to track down some more.

So when I was two weeks old I was adopted.  I was adopted to my adoptive family (obviously) and they were a pretty young couple, like 22, 24.  In my world, that seems young to adopt a baby.  But anyhoo, that’s how they did it in the 70s.

My childhood from most of my memories and photos was great!  I was an adored little baby and child.  My parents really wanted a baby (babies) so I was doted on all the time and dressed up like a little doll.  I always had a dress on.  Like always.

{Perhaps that’s why I don’t care for dresses anymore, ha!}

baby Jamie somuchbetterwithage.com

I weighed 10 lbs-something when I was born.  I knew absolutely nothing about my birth mother my whole life but I knew I was adopted from the beginning of time.  Sometimes I thought it was pretty cool and sometimes it really sucked.

This is when it sucked:  My parents couldn’t have children but nine months later my (adoptive) mother got pregnant (having a sister was pretty cool, this isn’t the sucky part).  The doctors said it was like a one and a million chance that she would get pregnant so my sister was like one in a million.  She was the exact photocopy of my mother in terms of personality/looks/demeanor/character and as such, they had a tight bond.  A bond that I could never be a part of.  She was one in a million.

baby Jamie somuchbetterwithage.com

It also sucked when people would say how much my sister looked like my mother or father.  If people saw me, my sister and mother out together they would comment that I must look like my father.  My mother would say yes and quite honestly I kinda did so it was no big deal most of the time.  But sometimes at family functions people like to go on and on about how certain people have the same chin/ears/nose/eyes and I would be sitting there like a lump on a log feeling like maybe I don’t belong here.

If you have adopted children, please don’t point out similarities of other family members.  Really, what’s the point?  Why point out the obvious and make that adopted person feel pretty crummy?

baby Jamie somuchbetterwithage.com

And other times it was pretty cool.

This is when it was pretty cool:  like when you find out bad stuff about your adoptive family and think,

phew!  I won’t get that certain cancer when I’m older or phew! I won’t get so-and-so’s brother’s crazy genes.

It was also cool to daydream about what your life could have been.

Actually, this was pretty dangerous.

I had a HUGE blown-out fairytale idea of what my life would be like if I wasn’t adopted OR if I was adopted to a different family.  I thought about this ALL the time as a teenager.

But I’m getting ahead of myself.

As you can tell by these photos, I was a pretty happy baby.

And the best part?

my baby girl somuchbetterwithage.com

I have a little girl that I think looks pretty similar to me.

Finally someone who looks like me.

You might also like…

Battling Perfectionism

battling-perfectionism

Comments

1. says

It’s nice to read more about you, Jamie! Adopting is very important to me as my Grandmother grew up in an orphanage (and was never adopted) and then went on to adopt one of her children. I want to have a child of my own, but I definitely see the importance in adopting.
    Thank you for opening up & sharing part of your story.

2. Treva says

Jamie, I’ve been a follower for a while and I’ve never commented before but I felt that I had to today. You are not alone! My story is similar to yours with just a few differences. I was adopted, too, and my adopted parents couldn’t have their own biological children. They never did. And I wasn’t two weeks old; I was 8 years old. Until then, I had been with my biological family and I grew up knowing them. I almost always wished that I didn’t know them or anything about them! It was very emotionally draining being around them (and still is). I was always envious of adoptees who didn’t know their birth family (I have a cousin like that). And I was told on occasion by people who didn’t know I was adopted that I looked like my adopted mother! lol. I could go into greater detail but this comment would be far too long. I just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone.

• says

Treva, thank you for your sweet comment! I loved hearing about your story. I can’t imagine what it must have been like for you. I’ve actually met my birth mother now and have a relationship with her (more stories to come on that soon) but I can see what you mean. It’s sometimes better not knowing. Please email me if you ever want to chat more: somuchbetterwithage@gmail.com
      Hugs,
      Jamie

3. says

I am so proud of you. So freaking proud. I know this took a whole lot of gut and courage and you rocked it. You. Are. Amazing. Freaking amazing! xoxo

4. Dian says

Thank you for sharing a little of yourself with us. Guess what, you are indeed a writer. I follow you on Facebook. Have wanted to blog myself, but can’t get started. Thanks again for stepping out, being brave and sharing.

• says

Thanks so much, Dian! You’re too kind. Thanks for being a follower. If you want to start a blog, you should definitely try it. Email me if you want ;)
      Hugs,
      Jamie

5. says

I had a whole fairytale life about if my parents weren’t divorced so I understand an alternate life dream. :) I also had imaginary friends. Yep plural, actually a town of pretend people. Apparently I pretend big. lol

• says

haha, that’s awesome! A whole town of imaginary friends, so awesome! I guess we all dream big at times especially when things are rough or difficult. Thanks for sharing ;)
      Hugs,
      Jamie

6. says

Jamie I really enjoyed reading some of your story – and I have to say you were (and still are) totally adorable. I love those dimples! I agree with you about not going on and on about how your biological kids look like family if you have adopted kids. Seems like a no-brainer but some people just don’t get it!

7. says

I got chills reading this story, Jamie. Mostly because I admire you for taking a risk in putting yourself out there through telling your story. It inspires me to share more of my story, too. Because like you said, we all have stories to tell. And we never know who we might encourage or bless in the telling of it…. Thanks for sharing yours! I can’t wait to learn even more about you and your life journey. HUGS!

8. says

Jamie, I love getting to hear more about you and your story! We all have something unique and special that we can share and learn from each other. But it’s not always easy to put it out there. So kudos to you, girl, for putting it out there!!

9. Jean says

Thank you for sharing your story. The best of all is that your birth mother chose life! What would the world be without you, Jamie? You have touched many and you are a gift to us all.

• says

Jean! You’re so right! I often think of that. It’s amazing what mothers who give up their babies go through. And what all mothers go through. Thanks so much for your kind words.
      Hugs,
      Jamie

10. says

Its funny, I have a few friends who are adopted, or have adopted, and I am always amazed at how similar they look to their family. I think Nurture can affect mannerisms more so than Nature. I comment on that because it surprises me. It makes me think that we are put in the families we are supposed to end up in. I can’t wait to hear more!

Love every one of your comments!